I wanted a low carbohydrate sweet breakfast this morning and opted for a flaxseed muffin. Adding some almonds really gave it a nice crunch. I found this recipe on an online forum and made slight changes.
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon natural almond butter (or any other nut butter)
* 3 packets Splenda or any other sugar substitute
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
* 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
1.Spray a microwave safe ramekin or bowl with cooking spray.
2. Mix the egg and splenda until well combined, add the yogurt and blend well. Now add in the almond butter and vanilla and mix it in until smooth.
3. Mix in the dry ingredients — ground flaxseed, almonds, cinnamon and baking powder until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture.
4. Pour in half the mixture in the oiled ramekin and microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds (note the ramekin should be no more than half full since these do rise a lot, if it is too small they will overflow).