As some of you may remember it is “Meatless Monday” for me. Truth be told, I was dreading coming home today because I couldn’t think of anything to make for dinner which didn’t include meat or fish that wouldn’t take too much time. Secretly, I was thinking of making guacamole as I had an avocado sitting in the fridge that needed to be used. Upon my return from work, I started browsing recipes with some ingredients that I had in the fridge. Fortuitously, I came upon this recipe for a salad that included tofu, avocado and tomatoes. This salad was so simple to make and totally hit the spot. Try it out, I promise you will not be disappointed. I found this recipe on food.com and customized it to my taste. Below is my version:
1) 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped in chunks
2) 1 medium sized avocado (I had Florida avocado) – chopped in chunks
3) 3/4 package firm tofu cut in cubes
4) 2 dried chilies
5) 2 packets of Truvia (or any other sugar of your choice)
6) 1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce
7) 1/8 cup rice vinegar
8) 2 teaspoons sesame oil
1) Put the first 3 ingredients into a big serving bowl.
2) Mix vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a measuring cup until the sugar dissolves completely.
3) Pour the mixture into the avocado mixture and let sit for 10 minutes.
4) Using a small saucepan, heat the sesame seed oil together with the chilli pepper until it ‘smokes’.
5) Remove and pour this over the avocado, tofu & tomato mixture.