I had a craving for a burger today but was too lazy to go out to the grocery store to buy ground meat (since I didn’t have any at home) . Hence, I decided to make a meatless burger. I did have tofu in the fridge, so after researching recipes online, I decided to experiment with my own version. The results were fabulous!
Below is how I made my tofu burger.
Green Lean Tofu Patties
1 package firm tofu
4 stems cilantro
3 cloves garlic
1 jalepaneo pepper
2 tsp chili garlic paste
1 medium red onion finely chopped
1.5 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp garam masala (Indian curry powder)
2 tbs flaxseed powder
3 tbs whole wheat bread crumbs
Salt to taste
1) Drain the tofu and place it in between two plates. Place a heavy object on the top plate to press and drain the water out of the tofu. Leave it like this for about fifteen minutes. Drain the water from the plate underneath and repeat.
2) In a blender put half the tofu in with cilantro, garlic and the jalepaneo. Blend to a smooth paste like mixture.
3) In a skillet sauté the red onions with some oil or Pam. Add some salt to the onions.
4) In a bowl put the blended tofu paste and add in the sautéed onions, cumin, garam masala, flaxseed powder, cinnamon, chili garlic paste and salt. Grate the other half of the tofu and add it in to the mixture.
5) Use your hands to mix the contents and form into desired size patties.
6) Coat the patty lightly with some breadcrumb.
7) Heat a skillet with some Pam or oil for shallow frying. Once the skillet is hot and ready, put the patty in. Crisp both sides until it turns dark golden brown and the top becomes cooked. I like mine a little crispy.
8) Put this patty in a hamburger bun with desired toppings. For a healthier option serve this patty atop a nice fresh salad or just eat it by itself!