Those of you who know me, know that I am not much of a baker. This was one of my impulsive acts where I wanted a healthier version of chocolate chip cookies late at night. I decided to make these with whole wheat flour and dark chocolate chunks.These little sweet treats are one of my favorites and I am whipping up another batch today. Last time I made them, my husband loved these cookies so much that he was quite unwilling to share these with me which is typically unlike him. Next time, I will add walnuts to these cookies to give it that extra crunch!
For those of you wondering how I made these delicious little treats, here is the recipe. This recipe was inspired by whole wheat gourmet’s recipe with a few modifications.
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks, 60% cocoa
- 1 (1.5 to 2 oz) dark raspberry chocolate (60% cocoa or better) bar, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered flax seed, flour, salt, baking powder and hot cocoa mix. Add the grated dark chocolate to the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes on medium speed. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in dry ingredents. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Roll or scoop dough into 2-inch sized balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 -15 minutes until they turn golden.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes ~30 cookies. This dough can also be frozen for later use.